Status on NY dream no. 5

I’ve been talking about the different attempts and the progress in the ‘reaching of my dream’ over the course of a few blogs, Status on NY dream vol. 1-4*. Now it’s time for an update.

I realized I had to get a Form I-20 from the university before even being able to apply for a visa. This caused med a bit of anxiety and stress, but finally I have the paper! Got it – along with a message that I need to get an Assessment test before being able to register for classes.

I took the Assessment test (CAT) this past Thursday. It’s a reading, writing and math test. I wasn’t too nervous about the reading and writing part (that I believe I did pretty well) but the math part really freaked me Β out. What will happen if I fail it? I’m not even sure. And the stupidest thing is I got the best grades in math just a few years ago. Guess it has to do with the fact that I wasn’t allowed any help besides a calculator and some of the questions, I simply didn’t understand!

On Dec 21, I’m going to get the results and I’ll be able to register for classes as well. As a part of this, I have to give proof of having being immunized for measles, mumps and rubella (which I have, and my doctor in DK is working on a translated version of my documents) I also have to pay a $100 commitment fee (is that subtracted from my tuition? I hope so!)

After I got my Form I-20, I did my DS-160 visa application, along with paying the SEVIS fee of $200. Booked my interview at the embassy in Denmark for Jan 3. ’12. (When I return to DK there’s another fee for the interview of about $150 I have to pay)

At the moment I’m trying to figure out how many scholarships there are available in Denmark for us ‘free-movers’ who are planning/responsible for all parts of our education. Most of the scholarships I’ve found is only available for master/ph.d ‘student’s and not for bachelors like myself. Also, the fact that I’m not enrolled in any Danish colleges/universities causes problems. One would think that WE that plan our own education abroad would be ‘favored equally’ with any other danish students – but no!

But you know what, it’s taken a long time to get here and now I’m most likely going to be back in NYC with a VISA in under a month – so who cares about the little things! I’ll figure a way to make it work, like I always do!

To be continued ….

* read previous chapters here:

6 thoughts on “Status on NY dream no. 5

  1. Hey there, I just found your website one day I was looking for a CUNY acceptance letter sample… and since then I encontered myself here every now and then. About the “commitment fee”, yes it is substracted from your tution later on. I found myself in an “alike” process, and surprisingly I applied to the same College you did. Still have no J1/F1 visa ’cause I’m in the waiting line, expecting get the DS-2019 from CUNY as soon as possible and then go to the US Embassy in my country. Hope everything goes well with you.

  2. Hey! Nice to hear from you!
    Yea I paid the commitment fee last week and saw that it was subtracted from my tuition bill. I got my Form I-20 from CUNY and will be going to the American Embassy in Denmark next week for my visa-interview!
    When are you planning on starting school? Can you make it to spring 2012? Remember you have to take the Cuny assessment test at their location before being allowed to register for classes. City tech is not great with communicating all the steps necessary and it’s rather frustrating. But I think I’m at the end of the road now… Will be starting school in a month! πŸ˜€ Finally … What are you planning on studying?
    Keep in touch πŸ™‚

  3. Well I’m not exactly “planning” I’m expecting it to happen because that doesn’t depend on me now, I’m waiting to get DS-2019 from CUNY, so that’s the reason why I’m not sure if I will be able to make it for spring 2012. Im planning to study Communication Design, if everything goes well.;)
    Until next πŸ˜€

  4. My advice is to keep contacting them. Whenever I talk to any of them I get a new / different reply. Just keep bugging them otherwise you might end up in the bottom of the stack of papers :/ I kept calling and emailing the international advisor. Took several weeks before I heard anything! (I got the direct no. to the international advisor if you want it! Was told it’s easier to get in touch with her if you call directly because ‘messages’ gets lost)
    Wish you well! πŸ™‚

  5. I’ll email you on the email address you’ve put in your info! Absolutely stay in touch! πŸ™‚

Comments are closed.